Advanced Search

Author Topic: New to Monkey X  (Read 1632 times)

March 14, 2014, 02:05:12 PM
Read 1632 times

Prime_8

• Administrator

• The Boss

• EjectedCore
New to Monkey X
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
A need to use Monkey and be able to make apps that can run on 'most' targets has popped up sooner than expected .   :o

I wanted a powerful but clean and simple language ... enter Monkey , now Monkey X .
well:
 powerful yep
 clean yep
 simple ~ no & yes ~  it can be as complex as a good OOP C++ app , or java .  But the level is up to the coder .

Still lacks some things when used on native systems , but it can inline external c++ if needed . ( other languages too , but i'm a C++'er ) ;)

March 17, 2014, 05:00:02 PM
Reply #1

AaronMiller

• Global Moderator

• LTM ~ Full source user

• Kune Developer

Re: New to Monkey X
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:00:02 PM »
It's a neat language but is lacking in many areas compared to C++. It's definitely useful when you need to support multiple platforms out-of-the-box though.

My experience with its OpenGL ES support so far has left a bit to be desired, but overall it's workable.

The compiler and IDEs could really use improvement though. It rebuilds the app every time I want to run it, for example. (Sometimes I just forget to test something and close the app too early, then want to run it again). The built-in IDE and the Jungle IDE aren't close to what I get in Visual Studio, but that's to be expected and comes with the territory. I'm sure they'll be improved bit by bit as time goes forward.

OpenGL ES 3 is out and it doesn't seem to have support for it. That's fine since my Android device doesn't support it and I have no need for it right now. But maybe eventually it'll get ES3 support. That'd be pretty awesome. (OpenGL ES 3.1 was just released today, btw. Has compute shader support, among other things.)

March 19, 2014, 04:57:15 PM
Reply #2

Prime_8

• Administrator

• The Boss

• EjectedCore
Re: New to Monkey X
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »
supposedly mark is building a 'real' 3d module. LOL

~ there is a user based fix for compile time for HTML5 targets ( the fastest to build as it stands rite now ).
It allows user http server &  only updates the .js unless ther eis a big enough change .

I still prefer C++ from code::blocks and a GCC . :)